The ArtReach Mural Artist Apprenticeship Program hires San Diego youth (16-24 years of age) to work directly with professional artists on large-scale murals. Through this program, youth work alongside and assist ArtReach Mural Artists to help transform their community through mural site beautification. Apprentices are involved in every step of creating murals: site visits, mural design, budget planning and project proposals, priming, transferring, painting, sealing, loading supplies. When opportunities are available, apprentices also will help lead communities on creating murals and aid in helping set up and run events such as Community Paint Days and Mural Unveiling Celebrations. This program provides professional and real-life work experience for youth participants as well as artistic instruction on creating large-scale artwork. Apprentices gain confidence, deep artistic inspiration, and new art skills from participating in this program.
How It Works
This program is for youth who have experience in or who are interested in visual arts, specifically community-based and public art. This is a great program for youth to who are interested in pursuing a creative career. Those interested are required to submit personal images of their own artwork, a personal artist statement, and resume/references. Following an interview, he/she/they will be paired with a Lead ArtReach Mural Artist on a specific mural project. Participants will be assisting the Lead Artist on helping with all steps in creating the site-specific mural. Youth are required to provide their own transportation to and from the job site.
- New Art Skills through mural-making: sketching, creating art to scale, blending paint, cutting clean edges and lines
- Creative Empowerment through Mural Design Assistance
- Real-Life Work Experience
- Community Connection through working on different mural projects with different artists
- Professional References from ArtReach
- Creative Guidance from ArtReach Mural Artists
- Increased self-confidence through creating collaborative large-scale artwork
- People skills: collaboration, professionalism, leadership
- Mural Artist Apprenticeship Program Packet
- Sketchbook, pen, pencil
- ArtReach Mural Program T-Shirt
Inquire About the Mural Artist Apprenticeship Program
Contact: Izzy Halpern , Mural Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
**We will post upcoming opportunities as time, safety, and funding allow.